Bungaree Station, one of Australia’s most iconic farming properties, will be to the public with daily guided and self guided tours to mark the historic 175th annual shearing of their famed sheep flock in the original woolshed and celebrate South Australia’s pioneering heritage.
Established by George Hawker in 1841, Bungaree produced one of the country’s most successful sheep flocks at a time when Australia rode “on the sheep’s back”, and today remains the home of the 4th, 5th and 6th generations of the Hawker family. The property’s woolshed was built n 1842, and has hosted the property’s annual shearing every year, making it one of Australia’s oldest working woolsheds.
To mark the historic occasion of the 175th annual shearing of Bungaree’s famous sheep flock, from Tuesday 3 – Friday 6 October, the property will be open to the public, with daily guided tours and self guided tours. As well as experiencing the excitement of shearing, visitors will be able to admire the craftsmanship of blacksmiths working in a traditional forge and displays of other artisan trades, including heritage stonemasonry and wool spinning and knitting. Vintage equipment, tools and vehicles will also be displayed, as well as Australian made wool products.
Special guided tours and self guided tours are available daily from Tuesday 3 to Friday 6 October:
- GUIDED TOUR – 10am daily; approximately 2 hour duration
- Includes complimentary morning tea
- Visits all key sites around the historic station complex
- Includes shearing and blacksmith demonstrations, as well as other displays of stonemasonry, vintage tools, vehicles and equipment. Wool spinning and knitting will also be demonstrated on Tuesday and Wednesday, with Australian made wool products displayed throughout the week.
- Proudly sponsored by Bungaree Station, with proceeds to local charities.
- $15 per adult, $7.50 per child (Limited tickets, pre-booking recommended)
- SELF GUIDED TOUR – available between 1pm and 4pm daily
- Explore the historic station complex at your own pace, with a series of audioposts and signs providing insights into South Australia’s pioneering past
- See the shearing team and blacksmiths at work and other displays of heritage stonemasonry, vintage equipment, vehicles and Australian made wool products.
- $15 per adult, $7.50 per child
Tickets available online or by contacting Bungaree Station on telephone 08 8842 2677 or email email@example.com .
Click Bungaree’s 175 Shearing Event_Flyer to open or download a flyer on this special event.